Interactive whiteboards are both exciting and intimidating. Using interactive whiteboards in classrooms is becoming a regular practice now. The creative side of the interactive whiteboards fantasizes users (instructors/presenters) and encourages them to explore new possibilities with the content resources, available curriculum, and instruction design. Even as, possible mishandling of interactive whiteboards, open control and monitoring, and technology mastering, worries many instructors. Interactive Whiteboard (aka IWB) provide instructors with a complete platform to explore, teach, share, deliver, and instruct students through interactive pedagogical instructions and flow of information in the form of compiled videos, PowerPoint Presentations, images, documents, and Web resources, etc. However, uncertainty about the use and best practices of interactive whiteboards limits them from exploring and utilizing the right potential of the interactive boards.
The popular interactive whiteboard brands such as eBeam, Mimio, and Polyvision provide a user manual to help you start using the electronic whiteboard. But often you have to go beyond these supplied instructions to realize the actual power of the whiteboard. Here we have compiled a basic list of Dos and Don’ts of using Interactive white boards in a classroom:
Dos of Interactive Whiteboards
Below read some best practices used worldwide to optimize the usage of whiteboards during lectures and trainings:
- Do seek expert help in installation of Interactive whiteboards. It is one of the top best practices, let experts (manufacturer support team/in-house technical support team) install, fix, and mount the interactive whiteboard and supporting equipment such as multimedia projector, document camera, etc.
- Do allow free flow of information. Let students participate in the discussion. Encourage them to share their ideas on-screen and appreciate their interactive explanations, drawings, and notes, etc. Do not stop students from touching the whiteboard.
- Do use multimedia Projector. It is recommended to use multimedia projectors with the interactive whiteboard to allow multimedia content sharing and collaboration in the classroom. Multimedia projectors allow you to display and interact with desktop content, resources, and software applications directly through the board.
- Do save whatever you teach. Whether you are a mathematics teacher or a language instructor, save whatever you teach for future reference, notes distribution, or online publishing. Recordings also allow you to discourage manual note taking in the classroom that causes attention deficit and tiredness.
- Do explore interactive whiteboard and share your discoveries with Peers. It is perfectly right to experiment different approaches with interactive whiteboards. Explore, experiment, and identify all the time you teach with an interactive resource. Also, share your discoveries with your colleagues or peers and learn from their experience too. That will make the technology mastery faster.
Don’ts of Interactive Whiteboards
Below are some practices to avoid when using interactive whiteboards.
- Don’t be afraid of using interactive whiteboards. Don’t wait for training to start using or exploring interactive whiteboard. Use them as you want. Find new ways to make learning more effective and exciting for students through the whiteboard.
- Don’t instruct with your back to the students. Avoid settings where you are facing the interactive board screen and have your back to the students. Speak to students face to face, instead of talking to the board. Use your PC as a teleprompter and collaborate using the PC screen instead.
- Don’t make a shadow on the whiteboard screen. Use short throw projectors to ensure that you are not making a shadow on the interactive whiteboard screen with your body. Adjust your projector to the classroom size and maximize visibility and clarity for the students.
- Don’t use Fingers to point or highlight a part on the whiteboard. Make use of electronic cursor to emphasize and highlight a part on the whiteboard screen.
- Don’t turn off lights when teaching. To increase visibility of content, some instructors turn off the lights during instruction delivery via a projector. This is not advisable. It doesn’t increase engagement but rather puts students into a sleepy environment. Keep lights on so that you can see your students and observe their behavior.
For more information, please visit us at www.electronicwhiteboardswarehouse.com or contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888.522.8975.
Polyvision eno 2610 | 2810 | 2650 & 2850
Polyvision Eno Interactive whiteboard is a breakthrough in the whiteboard industry and is the top three in interactive whiteboard. This whiteboard uses modern technology for educational purposes and replaces traditional marker with magnetic technology using no ropes, cables or expensive equipment associated with other whiteboards in the market.
You can bookmark, use multimedia, ink, or go to the Internet on a virtually indestructible surface made of ceramic steel and use your multimedia projector to project your computer screen onto the board.
This allows you to navigate through documents, presentations or web pages directly from your memory card while conducting classes and / or notes with a normal pen dry-erase markers or interactive electronic markers. With a single click, send and save your notes, print them, upload them to a server or email them. You can even recharge the meeting tomorrow morning and us the notes of the previous meeting’s notes as reference.
It’s that simple. eno compatible with Microsoft Windows ® and Apple Macintosh operating system software, partnered with Eno projector, maximize flexibility and interactive features enabled by Bluetooth. Read more…
The class of the new age display of all technical and not many can fight with the endless option offered given by Smartboard. As a teacher you may have grown up with old blackboards and whiteboards which control your lesson plans. However, it is now possible to take education to a higher level by creating an interactive environment that will surely inspire more students than ever before. It may seem like any other board in the market, but once you customize the experience with their platform, do not look back to any other solution.
Old teaching practices regularly confused or distracted students who are less able to care in general but with the power of smartboards lessons now class come alive with interactive Flash animations and mini-movies. The board should respond to the concrete receptive to your every move, and then you can control the direction of the class in any way you want, but not limited to the confines of textbooks. The easiest way conference can participate and attract many of the responses of students who want to be part of this totally new environment.
The main benefits of interactive whiteboards come in clarifying difficult subjects like math or science. Now you can allow the theorems and concepts in virtual laboratories, distribute the assets of the students in a completely different format. Once you get your interest and attention, with the help of new technologies, you will see better results in the standings after the curve. Read more…
Institutions in US are challenged to deliver education to a diverse audience, from different background and geographies, meet expectations at all levels, participate effectively in knowledge sharing as well as professional growth, and reduce the cost of education. The increasing challenges and requirements in education tend to the adoption of automated learning technologies and tools such as interactive whiteboards, Copyboards, Projectors, Classroom clickers, and document cameras, etc. These cutting-edge educational technologies not just rejuvenate learning in classrooms but these technologies also impact wider aspect of learning through influencing both instructors and students to participate in intimate in group discussions, lectures, and conduct vibrant assessments.
Classroom Response Systems, similar to other interactive learning tools, are advancing fast in classrooms. These smart remote controls relieve educators from the hassle of designing and conducting assessments using paper sheets, assessing quizzes by hand, and populating information into the learning management software or applications manually. Using intuitive Classroom Response System, Instructor can integrate and post questions from a PowerPoint presentation to the student remote or can design questions and quizzes in real-time with the keypad provided on the instructor remote. The base unit, wireless Infrared or Radio Frequency, broadcasts instructor questions to the student remotes. Students respond to the quiz question with the help of Keypad, be it a Multiple choice, True/False, or descriptive questions. The base unit again gathers responses from the student remotes, identified by a unique serial number, allocates scores to individual identities, and makes results available in just minutes. Read more…
Several teachers criticize that student’s response during class is very poor. Many are seen sleepy during presentations. Investigations begin and the problem was detected. Some may be thinking that it was teacher mistake but in reality it was the tools used during such sessions that bored students out. Students were interviewed and the investigation completed that it was rather a technology gap between student and teacher. In this age of modern tech-savvy kids who are used to the world of animations and internet, using the standard whiteboard and pasting diagrams to present topic to students was the main reason for lack of interest. Though, it can be argued that students should be able to adjust to the environment of static presentations but as technology enters more and more student lives, a change in teaching aids must be brought in.
The hunt began when schools searching for a solution to this problem. Multimedia projectors were looked as the newest solution but that too wasn’t the best possible solution. In this esteem many companies realize the need to come up with an motivating teaching aid that will not only just bridge the technology gap between students but will also improve class performance. Hence, interactive whiteboards came into the picture. They are touch sensitive screens that are similar to the many new gadgets that feature this technology and would help students relate to it. Read more…
As technology getting advance more gadgets are manufacturing which makes interaction & learning much more easily as current research describes benefits of active learning approaches. Classroom Clickers or student response systems are a technology used to promote active learning. Most research on the benefits of using clickers in the classroom has shown that students become engaged and enjoy using them. Learning outcomes are higher when using clickers. For this reason, I conducted a study that compared learning outcomes resulting from the use of clickers versus another active learning method—class discussion. Even though both techniques employ active learning, would using clickers increase learning outcomes more than another active learning approach? Two key features distinguish clicker use:
Clickers provide a mechanism for students to participate anonymously. Clickers integrate a “game approach” that may engage students more than traditional class discussion. The study also investigated students’ perceptions of their learning using clickers versus classroom discussion.
Clickers gives Active Learning
The benefits of active learning are extensively admired in higher education. According to research modern students are mainly active learners and lecture courses may be increasingly out of touch with how students engage their world. Read more…
Evolution in Interactive Learning Technologies – Increasing adoption
In classrooms, the use of interactive learning technologies is increasing and evolving continuously. To stay up and ahead in this competitive market, it is imperative to introduce students to the new and upcoming technologies in the market, preparing them for the future. To increase student comprehension and augment learning in the classrooms, instructors and instructional designers are using various learning technologies including Smart Interactive Whiteboards, Multimedia Projectors, Learning Management Systems (LMSs), Portable wireless Tablets, and Online Video Learning Portals, etc. Interactive Smartboards – one of the widely used interactive learning platform – open the world up for collaborative classroom lectures, presentations, meetings, and trainings.
How Interactive Smartboard technologies are influencing Classrooms?
The use of Smart Interactive Board increases knowledge, excites students to learn more, and engages them more effectively using versatile course content. The Interactive Smartboard commands attention with large presentation area, support for interactive media content, and instant access to stimulating Web resources. It allows instructors to invite interest of students from different backgrounds and of comprehension level ranging wide. According to Rozana Sani, the writer of various research papers on Interactive Smartboard technologies and leading standards, “Children who are shy tend to become engaged in learning when it comes to working with Smart Interactive Whiteboards”. Read more…